Wednesday, March 12, 2014

St. Patrick’s Good News Popcorn

This post was submitted by past Catholic Cuisine contributor Lena, from JOY{filled} Family


Patrick suffered much in Ireland and there was always the danger that he would be killed, yet the saint kept on preaching about Jesus.….How happy he was to bring the Good News of the true God to the people who once held him a slave. ~Holy Spirit Interactive

My parents used to treat my sis and I to flavored popcorn. There was a small snack shop in the mall that had a variety of flavored popcorn. My favorite was bubblegum. It has been a long time since I’ve enjoyed that yummy treat.

I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to treat my GFG to a childhood novelty of mine.
I made green lemon-lime flavored popcorn, AKA Good News Popcorn, in honor of St. Patrick. The children loved the Good News.

St. Patrick’s – Good News Popcorn
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 | Difficulty: EASY | Servings: 10

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Light Corn Syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • ⅔ cups Butter
  • 6 quarts Plain Popped Popcorn
  • 1.5-2 packages Kool-Aid (without the sugar)



PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees.
  • Boil sugar, syrup, and butter together for 3 min.
  • On a large, ungreased, baking pan, spread out popped popcorn.
  • In a separate bowl, combine the Kool-Aid with baking soda.
  • Remove the syrup from the stove. Slowly and carefully stir in the Kool-Aid mixture -- the mixture may ooze.
  • Pour sugar mixture over the popped popcorn. Carefully mix all until combined.
  • Place the coated popcorn into the oven for 30 min. Stir every 10 minutes.
  • Take popcorn out of the oven. Break it apart once it starts to cool.



Enjoy the GOOD NEWS!



Hence, then, I give unwearied thanks to God, who kept me faithful in the day of my temptation, so that today I can confidently offer Him my soul as a living sacrifice--to Christ my Lord, who saved me out of all my troubles. Thus I can say: `Who am I, O Lord, and to what have Thou called me, Thou who did assist me with such divine power that to-day I constantly exalt and magnify Thy name among the heathens wherever I may be, and not only in good days but also in tribulations?' So indeed I must accept with equanimity whatever befalls me, be it good or evil, and always give thanks to God, who taught me to trust in Him always without hesitation, and who must have heard my prayer so that I, however ignorant I was, in the last days dared to undertake such a holy and wonderful work--thus imitating somehow those who, as the Lord once foretold, would preach His Gospel for a testimony to all nations before the end of the world. So we have seen it, and so it has been fulfilled: indeed, we are witnesses that the Gospel has been preached unto those parts beyond which there lives nobody. 
~ The Confession of St. Patrick, St. Patrick

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. First time I'm posting on here! Thank you for all you do! I'm making some of this yummy popcorn now for my boys and husband to enjoy tomorrow! I had to improvise a little so I'm hoping it goes well! Happy Feast of St. Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly say I have never thought of/heard of this idea! How cool! I am totally trying this. Thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete